How to make the most of Social Distancing
April 29 2020 - According to Wikipedia, Social distancing, or physical distancing, is a set of non-pharmaceutical interventions or measures taken to prevent the spread of a contagious disease by maintaining a physical distance between people and reducing the number of times people come into close contact with each other.
Corona virus has been contracted by some, but has affected the whole world. Countries have been in lockdown and self-quarantine since the spread. Social distancing is a main factor in saving yourself and others from the spread of germs and infection.
Social distancing was recognized and is deemed necessary as the pandemic spreads to be able to break the chain of contagion. This practice has been adapted as a means to prevent spreading a disease as this virus has no cure as of yet and has resulted in different reactions and responses in each person.
Some are able to contract and defeat the virus, whatever be their age, level of immunity, while some cases lead to death, regardless of any factors. COVID19 develops differently in different people. And it is our duty as individuals and members of a community to do our part of maintaining physical distance for ourselves and not be carriers to those who are weaker than us.
Following are a few steps we can take to ensure we follow Social Distancing rules effectively:
1. Social distancing is to be practiced so as to not be in infectable distance from an infected person. It is observed that cough droplets of a normal person can travel up to 27 feet and the safest distance that can be maintained is at least 6 feet.
2. Avoid going to crowded places to prevent coming in close proximity with any people as it is impossible to figure out if they suffer from an ailment that we can contract and can in turn, lead to further weakening of our immune system.
3. It does not matter if the infection isn�t active in your vicinity, it is smart to break the chain of transfer of any kinds of germs and diseases.
4. It is important to sanitize yourself and your surroundings in current situations and to avoid contact with people coming from outside or people coming inside from outside.
5. In times of home delivery services, opt for no contact delivery as most services have this option now. This way you don�t have to come in contact with the delivery person.
6. Always sanitize and thoroughly clean your home-delivered or purchased items to avoid spreading of germs.
7. When meeting somebody, avoid shaking hands, hugs, standing too close, or meeting without wearing protection gear like masks, gloves.
8. It does not matter if 2 or more parties have been quarantined for a given period of time. Does not make it okay to mingle and interact. There are no exceptions even if you have showered, sit 6 feet away. It is unnecessary to socialize at this point and all rules must be maintained.
9. It is okay to take walks, go for a bike ride, get some fresh air etc. The key is to not mingle with people other than those that you are mingling/living with. Maintain proximity when stepping outside of the house.
10. Germs stay on plastic and metal for a substantial amount of time, if you must, avoid touching railings, chairs, surfaces, public property, door handles etc.