Exploring India's Monsoon Magic!
TOP 11 AMAZING PLACES TO VISIT IN MONSOON IN INDIA
India, a land of diverse landscapes and vibrant cultures, is a country that offers a plethora of travel experiences throughout the year. However, the monsoon season, which typically lasts from June to September, adds a unique charm to the destinations. Lush green valleys to cascading waterfalls, India becomes a paradise for nature lovers during this time. In this article, we will explore the top five places to visit in India during the monsoon. Additionally, we will discuss how the book "Indian Etiquette - A Glimpse into India’s Culture" can contribute to enhancing your trip.
If you are one of those who don’t mind getting a wee bit wet, then these 11 amazing places to visit in monsoon in India are perfect for sipping a hot coffee and enjoying the hot pakodas:
1. COORG – KARNATAKA (16°C)
Known for its dense forest cover, it also serves as a biodiversity hotspot showcasing a wide variety of flora and fauna. This romantic destination offers enchanting waterfalls, lakes, vast coffee plantations, and delicious cuisines to treat your taste buds. This is one of the best tourist places in rainy season.
· Ideal for: Nature lovers
· Things to do: Trekking, bird watching, elephant interaction, horse ride, coffee plantation tour
· How to reach: 5 hours (~270.4 km) from Bangalore via road if you are planning to go on a road trip. The nearest airports are Mysore at 120 km, Mangalore which is 135 km far and Bangalore at 260 km. Coorg doesn’t have a station by itself but the nearest railway stations are Mysore, Mangalore, and Hassan.
· Attractions: Explore the wildlife at Pushpagiri wildlife sanctuary, experience an exhilarating hike at Kotebetta and visit the Jog falls in Karnataka which is the second highest in India.
· Land package: INR 18,498
· Hotels to stay: The Tamara Coorg, Evolve Back Coorg
· Souvenirs: Coffee and Coorg Wine
· Weather in Coorg in monsoon: The climate stays pleasant with low to medium rainfall and an average temperature of 16°C.
2. MUNNAR – KERALA (20°C)
If you’re looking for ideal places to visit in monsoon in South India, then this one’s for you! Munnar is truly a paradise in God’s own country. With silvery mist, incredibly vast tea gardens, lush green hills, romantic atmosphere and pleasant climate, this hill station is truly one of the favourite tourist places in India during monsoons.
· Ideal for: Nature lovers, honeymooners
· Things to do: Trekking, plantation tours, sightseeing, bird watching
· How to reach: 3 hours 40 minutes (130.1 km) via road from Cochin if you take the NH49. The nearest railway station is Aluva and Ernakulam which are the major cities in Kerala. The nearest airport is Cochin at 110 km and Madurai international airport which is 140 km away.
· Attractions: Spot some exquisite wildlife at Anamudi which is also the highest peak in the Western Ghats, enjoy some nature walk at beautiful lakes in Devikulam and visit the Attukal waterfalls.
· Land package: INR 7,344
· Hotels to stay: The Panoramic Getaway, Fragrant Nature Munnar
· Souvenirs: Spices and tea
· Weather in Munnar in monsoon: The climate stays pleasant with medium to high rainfall and an average temperature of 20°C.
3. LADAKH – JAMMU AND KASHMIR (10°C)
Ladakh Festival takes place from 17th to 27th September. It’s a spectacle of a show and a must visit! This cold desert of India is sure on the list of many travellers and it truly lives up to its expectations. With its numerous mountain passes, sparkling lakes with crystal clear water surrounded by snow-covered mighty mountains, it is simply magical. This place is a must visit in summers and post-monsoons as the roads are clear for travel unlike in winters. This is one of the best places to visit in monsoon for couples.
· Ideal for: Culture-vulture, adventure enthusiasts
· Things to do: Sightseeing, bike rides, monastery visit, wildlife viewing
· How to reach: 12 hours (1262 km) from Delhi via road. The nearest railway station is Jammu Tawi. The nearest airport is in Leh.
· Attractions: Ladakh Festival Tour, Stroll around the Pangong lake which rightly means long, narrow, enchanted lake in Tibetan, play with snow at Changla pass, and seek blessings at the Thiksey monastery
· Land package: INR 20,579
· Hotels to stay: The Grand Dragon Ladakh, Chamba Camp
· Souvenirs: Tibetan handicrafts and rugs
· Weather in Ladakh in monsoon: The climate stays pleasant and cold with medium to high rainfall and an average temperature of 10°C.
4. SHILLONG – MEGHALAYA (15°C)
One of the best places in India during monsoons is the city of Shillong which receives the heaviest rainfall during the rainy season. Surrounded by picturesque valleys of Khasi and Jayanti hills, adorned by numerous waterfalls, Shillong offers a panoramic view of green natural scenery. It is one of the most picked places to visit in the rainy season.
· Ideal for: Honeymooners, nature lovers, wildlife enthusiasts, culture vulture
· Things to do: Wildlife viewing, trekking, boating
· How to reach: By train- The closest railway station from Shillong is in Guwahati. It’s about 100 kilometres away and you can easily take a taxi from there. The Guwahati railway station is connected to New Delhi and other major cities across the country.
· Attractions: David Scott Trail is an old trekking route that is counted amongst the most famous ones in Meghalaya.
· Land package: INR 9,000
· Hotels to stay: Ri Kynjai Serenity by The Lake, The Heritage Club
· Souvenirs: Shawls and stoles
· Weather in Shillong in monsoon: The climate stays pleasant with medium to high rainfall and an average temperature of 15°C.
5. DARJEELING – WEST BENGAL (18°C)
The perfect monsoon getaway of India, is the well-known for tea industry along with a popular tourist destination, also known as The Queen of Hills, is situated at the foothills of the great Himalayas. Due to the surrounding hills, it receives heavy showers during the monsoon.
· Ideal for: Nature lovers, honeymooners, families
· Things to do: Tea plantation visit, monastery visit, toy train ride, shopping
· How to reach: The nearest railway station in Darjeeling is at New Jalpaiguri (62 kilometres from the main town) which connects major Indian cities like Kolkata, Delhi, Guwahati, Chennai, Mumbai, Bangalore, Bhubaneshwar, and Cochin. Or take a flight to Kolkata.
· Attractions: Rangeet valley passenger cable car, Darjeeling monastery, adventure sports, and the toy train. Don’t forget to try some authentic Darjeeling tea.
· Land package: INR 6,249
· Hotels to stay: Mayfair, Chamong Chiabari
· Souvenirs: Hand knitted items, carpets
· Weather in Darjeeling in monsoon: The climate stays pleasant with medium to heavy rainfall and an average temperature of 18°C.
6. PUSHKAR – RAJASTHAN (25°C)
When it rains heavily in other parts of India, plan a wonderful trip to Pushkar not to let the sultry sun give you a tan, but to explore the beautiful and soothing side of Rajasthan. Imagine what is more romantic than an awakening peacock call, an early morning camel ride, a stroll around the market. Pushkar should definitely be on your bucket list of places to visit in monsoons in India.
· Ideal for: Honeymooners, families, culture vulture
· Things to do: Camel safari, hot air ballooning, jeep safari, hiking, shopping, sightseeing
· How to reach: You will need to take a train to Ajmer and then take a 30-minute drive to Pushkar.
· Attractions: Camel rides, desert camping and sightseeing.
· Land package: INR 9,000
· Hotels to stay: The Pushkar Alone Resort, The Westin Pushkar Resort and Spa
· Souvenirs: Handicrafts
· Weather in Pushkar in monsoon: The climate stays pleasant with low to medium rainfall and an average temperature of 25°C.
7. WAYANAD – KERALA (18°C)
There is no doubt that Wayanad is one of the best hill stations and a picture perfect place to visit during monsoons in South India. And to the delight of vacationers, the place also hosts a special 3-day monsoon festival ‘Splash’ to portray Wayanad as the most popular place to visit in India in monsoons.
· Ideal for: Nature lovers, wildlife enthusiasts, honeymooners, families
· Things to do: Wildlife, nature walks, treks, plantation tours, camping
· How to reach: Wayanad does not have a train station. Nearest option is Nilambur Road. Wayanad is 51 km away from Nilambur Road (NIL), Nilambur.
· Attractions: Trekking, hiking, sightseeing and the monsoon carnival – Splash.
· Land package: INR 10,500
· Hotels to stay: Arayal Resort, Mount Xanadu
· Souvenirs: honey and spices
· Weather in Wayanad in monsoon: The climate stays pleasant with low to medium rainfall and an average temperature of 18°C.
8. MOUNT ABU – RAJASTHAN (20°C)
Being a hill station, Mount Abu is a round-the-year place but it is eye-catching to watch this lovely destination when clouds cover up the sky and water drops come down to the earth. Mount Abu is the right choice for those who are looking for a perfect dose of nature, spirituality, and adventure.
· Ideal for: Honeymooners, nature lovers
· Things to do: Boating, sightseeing
· How to reach: Mount Abu railway station is well-connected to different cities in India like New Delhi, Jaipur, Mumbai, and Ahmedabad. The Abu Road railhead lies on the long Delhi-Ahmedabad railway line.
· Attractions: Sightseeing and trekking. Also, try boating in the lakes and relax under the beautiful weather.
· Land package: INR 4,500
· Hotels to stay: Hotel Hillock, Hotel Royale Palace
· Souvenirs: Bangles and sarees
· Weather in Mount Abu in monsoon: The climate stays pleasant with medium rainfall and an average temperature of 20°C.
9. AULI – UTTARAKHAND (10°C)
Auli dons almost every shade of nature to transform itself into one of the best spots to explore in North India in August. Famous as a skiing destination during the snow season, Auli exhibits a completely different spirit during monsoon. The months from July to September is the rainy season in Auli and it receives moderate rainfall between these months. The warm and pleasant temperature ranging from 10 to 30 degree Celsius makes these months an ideal time for visiting Auli and engaging in activities like sightseeing tours. The rains bring out the romantic and dreamy side of this Himalayan hill town. However, one needs to be cautious of the slippery roads after a drizzle. The rain tends to clean the surroundings offering way greener and fresher scenic views of the valley.
· Attractions: Kwani Bugyal, Trishul Peak, Rudraprayag, Joshimath, Chenab Lake, Nanda Devi Range
· Things to do: Sightseeing, trekking, riding a cable car, hiking, paragliding
· How to Reach: Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun is the nearest airport. The nearest railway station is Rishikesh. State transport buses from Haridwar and Rishikesh are available
· Hotels to stay: Auli Eco Resorts, The Royal Village, Hotel Mount View
· Weather in Auli in monsoon: The climate stays pleasant with low to medium rainfall and an average temperature of 10°C.
10. MALSHEJ GHATS – MAHARASHTRA (25°C)
Malshej Ghats in Maharashtra is a mountain pass located in the Western Ghats. The place is home to rare collections of flora and fauna, making it a beautiful escape for nature lovers. If you are planning an expedition during monsoon then you will surely be thrilled with the astounding beauty of Malshej Ghats.
· Ideal for: Honeymooners, and families
· Things to do: Bird watching, camping, trekking, sightseeing
· How to reach: The nearest railway station is Kalyan, located in Thane district. The place is well-connected from Kalyan via road
· Attractions: Mesmerising ambiance
· Land package: INR 8,000
· Hotels to stay: Flamingo Hills
· Souvenirs: Handicrafts
· Weather in Malshej Ghats in monsoon: The climate stays pleasant with heavy rainfall and an average temperature of 25°C.
11. CHIKMAGALUR – KARNATAKA (22.6°C)
Chikmagalur, officially known as Chikmagaluru is amongst the most serene and lush green cities in Karnataka. Nestled at the foothills of the Mullayanagiri peak in the Western Ghats, the place is home to vast tropical rainforest that lure travellers from across the world with its exquisite beauty. It is one of the most popular places to visit in monsoon in India.
· Ideal for: Honeymooners, families
· Things to do: Sightseeing, trekking, camping, nature walks
· How to reach: The place is well-connected through road from Bangalore, and Mangalore.
· Attractions: Natural beauty, geographical significance
· Land package: INR 12,000
· Hotels to stay: Chikmagalur Homestay, The Vintage Chikmagalur
· Souvenirs: Handicrafts
· Weather in Chikmagalur in monsoon: The climate stays pleasant with heavy rainfall during monsoon and an average temperature of 22.6°C.
ENHANCING YOUR TRIP WITH "INDIAN ETIQUETTE - A GLIMPSE INTO INDIA’S CULTURE”
To truly experience the essence of India, understanding its culture and customs is essential. The book "Indian Etiquette - A Glimpse into India’s Culture" serves as an excellent guide to helping you decide where to travel in India during the monsoon.
"Indian Etiquette - A Glimpse into India’s Culture" into your trip, you will be able to get a detailed understanding on the places to visit, the location, guide to planning your mode of travel, local culture of that state, local food of that state and the places to visit in that state.
In conclusion, India offers a multitude of captivating destinations to explore during the monsoon season. So pack your bags, embark on an unforgettable journey, and let India's monsoon magic unfold before your eyes.
ORDER YOUR BOOK COPY NOW:
Dr. Niraalee Shah
Founder: Image Building and Etiquette Mapping